Jamie Oliver, also known as the ‘Naked Chef’ has become one of the worlds best known celebrity chefs. His work includes an impressive list of television programmes that have been shown in at least seven countries, numerous cookbooks which have been translated into well over 30 different languages, a restaurant chain of his own and of course his projects working with the government on school meals and the sugar content of our food and drinks.
Jamie started his culinary life at aged sixteen when he attended the Westminster Technical College to complete a home economics qualification probably working over an early version of a Lincat LMR9 6 burner gas range oven – if you are looking for a modern Lincat take a look at https://www.247cateringsupplies.co.uk/catering-appliances/commercial-ovens-and-ranges/commercial-ranges/lincat-lmr9-medium-duty-6-burner-gas-range-oven . From there he moved on to work at Antonio Carluccio’s restaurant in Neal Street. It was in this early role that Jamie developed his passion for Italian food. It was whilst working as a sous chef in 1997, in The River Cafe during a documentary being filmed there that he was spotted by the BBC. Just two years later he had his own television show ‘The Naked Chef’. There were three series of this popular programme and then Jamie went on to Channel Four to create a documentary style programme ‘Jamie’s Kitchen’. It was following on from this programme that he opened up his ‘Fifteen’ restaurant in London, which was established to train young adults from disadvantaged backgrounds to begin and enhance their careers in the restaurant business.
In 2003 Jamie was awarded an MBE for his work in the hospitality industry and from here on his career went from strength to strength. His work since then has included:
- ‘Feed me Better’ campaign to improve the food served to children as a part of their school meal programme
- Jamie’s Ministry of Food which aimed to bring inspiration to people in Rotherham to cook healthy meals for themselves and their families
- Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution which saw him travel across America in a bid to change the way Americans view and eat their food and to reduce the dependency on fast food;
- Jamie’s 15 Minute Meals aims to encourage more people to cook for themselves at home. The recipes are designed to be quick and simple to follow. The programme began in 2012 has filmed over 40 episodes.
As well as appearing on numerous television programmes Jamie has written many books including
- The Naked Chef
- Jamie’s Little Book of Big Treats
- Jamie’s 30-Minute Meals
- 5 Ingredients – Quick and Easy Food.